Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Santa's Birthday

We started a new tradition today and it's one that's going to stick!   In the aftermath of yesterday's holiday shopping extravaganza, I decided to do something special with the kids on July 25th.  They are still too young to understand the  "Christmas In July" concept (as are some adults, evidently.  I pity them)  A couple weeks ago, completely out of the blue, my oldest posed the question, "Mom, when is Santa's birthday?"  Please note that I am aware of the correlation between Santa and St. Nicholas, whose birthday is traditionally recognized on December 6th.  However, seeing an opportunity for something fun to break up the monotony of the summer months, I decided that our family would celebrate Santa's birthday on July 25th.

The morning started with green and red scrambled eggs, a piece of fruitcake,  and a knock on the door.

On the doorstep we found a gift and a letter from our mischievous Christmas elf, Alfie.  Alfie was with us the entire month of December, sending reports to Santa on good behavior and finding his way into all kinds of trouble!  Alfie's letter described Santa's birthday celebration at the North Pole and came attached to a wonderful gift the whole family could enjoy.

After breakfast, I lit my favorite Christmas candle and turned on the Christmas tunes.  As we listened to Bing, Dean, Frank, and Nat, we made ornaments for our trees and colored holiday pictures.  We also watched the first of our Christmas videos, which the kids were anxious to see- How the Grinch Stole Christmas.

Lunch time was uneventful, something I think will change next year, and afterward my own little elves headed to bed.  D and I made some red and green popcorn and settled in on the couch for our Christmas movie- The Muppets Christmas Carol.  It was brand new for him and became an instant favorite, which is great news for this Muppet fan!

When our movie ended, we broke out our new gift, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer for Wii.  (Buying holiday items off of Amazon in the middle of the Summer can be very economical, by the way.  Paid less than $5 for this brand-new game)  It was a hit!

We're finishing supper and the kids are eagerly anticipating their reindeer cupcakes.  We'll end the night with baths and Christmas books before bedtime.

Who knows how long we'll be able to celebrate Santa's birthday.  Either way, July 25th will be a special day in our home.  I can hardly wait for next year!

2 comments:

Heidi said...

You are seriously sooo cute! I love all your ideas.

Stacey said...

I love this! You should be named the smartest Mommy ever!!