Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Christmas In the Air

Okay...it's not. The air is currently still flooded with pollen and each day becomes increasingly warmer as desert temperatures continue to rise and summer officially approaches. Tomorrow June begins- the hottest month of the year in Arizona when temperatures can reach in excess of 115 degrees during the day. Dreading. Dreading. Dreading.


In our household, we are still in the midst of our family "birthday extravaganza" that commences each year in April and lasts through the end of July. It sounds better than it is. That's just my way of saying we have a birthday every month in our home. I like to throw the word "extravaganza" out there periodically just because I can.


My husbands birthday was a success, as was Sofia's princess party. Next up, Zay's 2nd birthday which I am currently in a conundrum over. More on that later. But the lapse in time and the lack of preparation, based on the aforementioned conundrum, has got my mind wandering ahead several months to the holiday season.


It happens every year. The temperatures rise and I long for shorter days with cooler temperatures, for things like stew, oven-baked meats and creamy casseroles, for spiced candles and cozy sweaters.


In my traditional obsessive compulsive way, I begin planning for the holidays in August. Which despite criticism from skeptics has proved VERY successful and, may I add, is extremely beneficial to our budget. Faithfully, on July 25 each year, my mom and I take leftover Christmas cookies out of the freezer, light a deliciously scented candle, pour ourselves a cup of tea, and settle in on the sofa for Christmas in July on QVC. We buy very little, but it has become a beloved tradition and I don't intend on giving it up very...er...uh...okay...EVER!


Yet I cannot keep my mind from wandering there even now, almost two entire months early. There's so much to do and plan in the meantime, so I guess Christmas is going on the back burner...for now. It will arrive in due time. But don't judge me if I sneak a whiff of my Christmas wreath candle periodically or you catch me humming Carol of the Bells.

No comments: