Saturday, May 28, 2011

2011 Reads Update

It's Memorial Day weekend and we are nearing the half way point of the year.  With only a few weeks to go, I decided it was in my best interest to evaluate my reading progress and see what I need to do to maintain momentum.  That last sentence is code for "look at the list of books I was supposed to have read and have not and cram as many of them into the next four weeks as possible". 
 In my defense however (you knew that was coming), I have read books.  But like everything else in life, I've been distracted from my goal.  This is the result of a few things.  Number 1:  My children still live with me.  This will be the excuse I use for the next 12-16 years.  It is valid.  Get used to hearing it. Number 2:  My dear husband, after dealing with his inevitable remorse for the "You're not a reader" comment, did in fact buy me a Kindle for my birthday.  I am happy to say that I love it and use it often!  However, it posed a problem I didn't anticipate.  I now feel guilty reading anything other than my Kindle for fear that he will assume I'm not interested in it anymore and revert back to his previous opinion regarding my affection, or the lack thereof,  for literature.  Furthermore, I cannot bring myself to purchase Kindle books that I have sitting on my shelf.  Number 3?  Evidently I have guilt issues.  This is a topic for another time.


All that being said, I am happy to report that I have finished the following books:
Stuff Christians Like by Jon Acuff (frighteningly accurate, but did make me laugh out loud on more than one occasion)
Crazy Love by Francis Chan (not funny in any way, shape, or form, but completely alters the way you look at your relationship with God and will challenge you to change the way your faith looks to others)
So Long Insecurity by Beth Moore (about 1/3 of the way through this one- Wow!  Dealing with some issues I never knew I had and some I did.  Tough stuff)


I've also begun  reading Extravagant Worship by Darlene Zschech, which is on my original list and am working my way through Fearless by Max Lucado.   I'll tell ya, it's not like tackling J.I. Packer or Charles Spurgeon, but that's some heavy reading right there.  I think I'm going to need to take a break from the soul-searching next and read Calvin and Hobbes or something equally mindless.

Short-term goal?  To finish So Long, Insecurity and Extravagant Worship by the mid-year point.  Which means, it's time to get off the computer, grab a cup of coffee and get reading!

1 comment:

Kim Milius said...

I had the Kindle-guilt thing too after Jeff bought me one for my birthday. I finally had to tell him that I am addicted to "real" books & there are just some things that I need to have (& read) that way --- other books, I'm happy to read on the Kindle (& I love it!).