We are some of the newest members of the "parents of school-age children" club and are adjusting to a life regulated by school bells and homework (although we haven't yet had to deal with the "homework" portion). My homework consists of packing lunches, doing even MORE laundry than usual, emptying backpacks, running back and forth to school, and getting up at the crack of dawn to insure that the aforementioned things are all accomplished in a timely manner.
Having been on the "teacher" side of things, though. I still prefer this end of the deal.
Let's face it. Teaching is one of THE most difficult professions out there. The pay is lousy, the work exhausting, the schooling incessant, and the parents...don't even get me started on the parents. (As a side note, those of you who like to argue about teacher's poor compensation by saying "but they only have to work 9 months out of the year" clearly have never (A) set foot in a classroom, (B) spent so much as an hour concerned with the physical, emotional, psychological, and academic needs of 20-30+ children, (C) bothered to look outside of your self-important world and notice what goes in to making a classroom run, or (D) need to be clubbed over the head)
Having had firsthand experience at this, I swore to myself that I would do my best to make sure that my kids teachers know how much we appreciate what they endure everyday and that we realize they have chosen this profession because they want to make an impact on our kid's lives. I have vowed to NEVER be the parent who complains, argues, undermines, challenges, or demands my way from a teacher. Instead, I want to encourage, support, help, and pray for my kid's teachers. As a former educator and, more importantly, as a Believer this is my job.
In light of this self-imposed commission, I have been brainstorming ways to brighten the teacher's day and looking for opportunities to show her that we appreciate her, which should be done more than just one week in May, incidentally. I hope to share some of my ideas in the coming weeks and months and would love to hear some ideas others have as well!
Wednesday, August 11, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
AMEN!!!!
LOVE this post...and LOVE your survey...um. genius!
Post a Comment