Thursday, July 29, 2010

Gearing up for Kindergarten

School starts in less than a week. How on earth did it get here so quickly?

In my attempt to prepare ahead of time, I have already purchased most of the necessary school supplies...

Backpack and lunch box- check
Water bottle- check
Folders- check
Scissors- check
Glue sticks-check
Tissues-check
Hand sanitizer-check
Xanax for Mommy- STILL NEEDED!

I have officially entered and set up camp in the state of emotional chaos. Not to mention that I am certain that I am far more nervous about Daniel starting kindergarten than he is. I know he is going to have a wonderful time and that he is beyond ready to begin. I'm excited about his classroom assignment and trusting that he has the teacher he is going to need this year to help him succeed and fall in love with learning.

My nervousness exists on several levels and I've been told that I'm not alone in this pre-kindergarten paranoia. I am afraid that he is not going to remember simple tasks like...um...going to the bathroom on time and eating enough of his lunch. I suppose it's reasonably grounded seeing as I have had to remind him of such tasks repeatedly every day of the last 5 years. Such concerns raise my blood pressure in a matter of seconds and then I am reminded of my own days in the classroom and quickly realize that kindergarten teachers are prepared for and capable of handling these very things. However, that calms my nerves for only moments.

It is a strange paradox of parenthood-On one hand there is the fear that your child cannot function throughout the day without you. Even more devastating, however, is the fear that they can and the knowledge that they will.

This is what has me bursting into tears at the mere mention of school starting. However, contrary to my husband's belief, I am not in need of professional help...yet. Come Wednesday morning I will pull myself together, smile big, escort Daniel to his classroom, take the necessary pictures, hug him goodbye...and cry all the way home. ;-)

No comments: