Monday, June 1, 2009

Check Up

I was finally able to get Sofia to the doctor for her 12 month check up. It was decided, after a trying visit to the last pediatrician, that it was time to find a new doctor. Something about the rude office staff and the fact that the medical assistant insisted that it was necessary for me to take my 10 month old to an off-site lab to have her blood drawn to check for lead and hemoglobin levels, despite the fact that the doctor gave me no such instruction, was evidence enough that change was necessary. Luckily, my OB's wife is a pediatrician in the area and, as soon as I saw she was on our provider list, I made an appointment. What a difference it made!

Sofia was a trooper in spite of the fact that she is getting two more teeth and has been miserable the last two days. No tears during her exam. She just looked at the doctor inquisitively as she listened to her heart and checked her eyes. Unfortunately, our poor baby girl had to get yet another round of immunizations (much harder on mom than her, I think). She is as healthy as can be and is now sleeping soundly through the afternoon

In true Orona fashion, our 12 month old has yet to hit the 20lb mark. Her brother finally arrived around month 15. Sofia is much closer weighing in at a 19lbs. 9 1/2 oz. putting her in the 25th percentile for weight. At 30 inches long she is growing slightly taller than average, which came as a surprise. What was not at all surprising, was the fact that her head measured in the 90th percentile at a whopping 47 cm. She's gonna be one smart cookie!

Our baby girl continues to grow and change each day and is really beginning to share her sweet and fun personality with us. Before we know it, our baby will be a big sister!

And we're going to have to do this check-up/shot thing all over again......I think I can, I think I can, I think I can...

1 comment:

Stacey said...

Yay for Sophia! She is a doll :o)