Monday, December 29, 2008

Ooops!

More like WOW! It's official...we are having another baby. After years of trying for the first two (and necessary help from the medical profession), we are pregnant with number three. We have known for a few weeks but got confirmation today at our first doctor visit.

Less than a week before Thanksgiving, with a road trip and cross-country move on the horizon, we began to wonder if pregnancy wasn't a possibility. It all started with a Friday afternoon phone call to Fernando at work. In telling him about my day, I mention how exhausted I was and how, "if I didn't know any better", I would have thought I was pregnant. He basically dared me to take a test. So, I dug one out of the bathroom cabinet that was over a year expired. Low and behold it was positive- instantly. I think I stared at it in shock for about 10 minutes and then called Fernando back and asked him to pick up a "new" test at the store. He left work immediately and headed home. About an hour later, not one, but two tests had confirmed what, at the time, was my greatest fear. We sat in stunned silence before the reality of the news hit.

All I knew was that I was somewhere between 4 and 8 weeks along and we didn't have time to find out specifically. Two days later, we piled in the car and headed for San Antonio knowing that the moving crew would arrive two days after we returned. Little did we know that we would come home within 72 hours with the most heinous case of the stomach flu known to man and that it would travel from one member of the family to another for a good two weeks. Once we got to Phoenix, I called my OB and made the first appointment I could get- today, December 29th.

We are due July 3rd which puts me at 13 weeks. I had a great first trimester, and we are considering it a blessing that we made it as far as we did under as much stress as we were with a healthy baby. When I took that first test we were indeed at 8 weeks.

The initial shock of having two children 13 months apart has begun to wear off. I know many of you have been in similar situations and some have even elected that. For those of us who were content with 2 children (and prefer to do things in even numbers anyway) :) and didn't intend on having any more, the thought of a third coming that close to the second was a bit unnerving.

We are excited and blessed to be expecting an addition to the family- regardless of the fact that this will be the third child born in the summer (in the Arizona summer, no less) I thought the Lord and I had already discussed that....

In addition, we are currently taking donations to buy a larger vehicle and put in a backyard swimming pool in order to accommodate all of the summer birthday parties we will be hosting in the years to come. Praise God!

4 comments:

Michael Gray said...

AHHH! OH MY WORD! Congratulations! I'm so happy for you guys! You're gonna be busy!

- Heidi

Rsymphony said...

Wow! Congratulations!!! Isn’t it amazing how these things just happen :) We’re so excited for ya’ll!

The Hodges Family said...

OH MY GOODNESS!!! congratulations you guys! we are so happy for you!! wow...13 months apart! how exciting! happy new year! :) Jessica

Jason Palmer said...

We are so excited for you guys! Although it would be easier for God to ask your permission before you got pregnant... he seems to like to keep you on your toes. Thank God He has a plan! Congrats!