days until the Presidential election, and I, for one, don't think it's coming soon enough. Can I stand 42 more days of political commercials, biased media coverage, and attacks being slung from one side to the other? I think not!
42- an interesting number and one I've learned a lot about in the last few days. I recently spent an afternoon at the William J. Clinton Presidential Library. Because of my love of history, I have vowed to visit as many presidential libraries as I can before I die. My first visit was to the LBJ library in Austin, TX. There are definitely some I'd prefer to visit over others, but proximity plays a big role in determining which libraries I get to first. Being that we live in Little Rock, I have no excuse for not visiting Clinton's.
William Jefferson Clinton was the 42nd president of the United States. The Clinton library is of particular interest to me because it highlights the events surrounding the presidency of a man who held office during a significant time of my life- my adolescent and college years. I remember, first hand, so much of what happened during that time. And I also realize how little I paid attention to what was going on in world events- outside the "world of me". Sound familiar to anyone else?
I have visited this library twice now and each time I go, I learn a bit more about who Clinton was and what his presidency was all about- there's still much to figure out...
My first visit left me with a more positive opinion of him than I had previously had in terms of some of his economic and social policies. Much good was accomplished during this time and, as with all of his predecessors, there were some mistakes made along the way. I really tried to keep an open mind and learn all that I could. This second visit left me with a much different view. Perhaps all that I've seen and heard recently from our candidates, congressmen, and political analysts, has reaffirmed my original take on the politics of the 1990s and some of the leaders of the democratic party- namely, the Clintons. Or perhaps I'm just soured on politics altogether. I'm not naive enough to believe everything that politicians say. I rarely believe anything they say- and that is on both sides of the coin. But nothing irritates me more than outright dishonesty and skillfully crafted contradictions. It irritates me to no end to hear them make excuses for themselves and crucify those on the opposing side for the same behavior. I no longer care that we have individuals in government that I don't agree with. I DO care that we have individuals (and glorify them nonetheless) that I can't even respect. We must have more than a few hundred spines laying around somewhere because there are Democrats and Republicans in Washington functioning without them.
With all the talk and criticism we have heard about the war over the past couple of years, I have started to sit up and take notice of both sides of this issue. No one can deny, not even our Democratic presidential nominee, that the surge is working and victory is finally in sight. Does that mean there haven't been mistakes made along the way? Absolutely not. History may very well prove that Iraq is indeed the wrong battlefield- anyone who can see 10 years into the future, feel free to stand up and make your case. Otherwise, we will just have to wait and see. It amazes me, though, that there is seemingly an entire party of politicians that claim to be against the war- some didn't think we had any right to go there in the first place. Does anyone remember what happened here on September 11th, 2001? Right, wrong, or indifferent, the one thing we can be sure about is that for the past 7 years, there has not been another attack on American soil. As a wife, mother, and an American- that matters to me!
Don't get me wrong, there are many other issues of concern that will effect the elections this year, but this one keeps coming back to mind. It is so closely linked to all the others. My weekend visit to the Clinton Library has once again left me pondering the war and what is fundamentally wrong with our government. Unless you visit Little Rock and spend some time touring the Clinton Library, you will not have the privilege of hearing these words (spoken by Clinton himself). Should you be planning a visit, spend the extra $3 for the audio tour. It is SO worth it! Former President Clinton will guide you through the library offering insight into what you are seeing and sharing some of his heartfelt convictions.
While gazing upon the "Foreign Policy" wall, Clinton's voice resonating in my ear, I was shocked by what I heard him say. He discussed the progress his administration made in the Balkans and Northern Ireland and then turned his attention to the Middle East. According to President Clinton, the Democratic party's golden child, little was done to secure this area of the world, although there were "7 years of progress toward peace" (we must not use the same dictionary because my definition of progress and his differ significantly). However, in response to his own foreign policy in the Middle East, he had this to say in closing...
and I quote-
"When America is involved, less people die. Sometimes, it's good to fight for peace, even when you don't fully succeed."
I'm sorry...what was that again?
Can I get that in writing #42? I think you have some colleagues (not to mention a wife) that might be interested in knowing that's where you stand...
Tuesday, September 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
well written and well put! I really enjoyed this post. Hope all is well.
Excellent post! From reading your blog I find it funny how much you and I are a like. Miss you guys!
Hey :)
I tagged you on our blog! If you get a chance...a Mommy's work is never done ;)
Post a Comment