I absolutely LOVE this time of the year and, in addition to my unhealthy affinity for the holiday season, I look forward to it every year. There is something about the slight increase in temperature, the arrival of the scent of the orange blossoms in the air, and the anticipation of what's to come that ignites something in my soul.
February has always been an eventful month. It's the month of my birth and the month of our anniversary, which always give me something to look forward to- lots of celebrations and, let's just be honest, hopefully some gifts here and there.
I love presents! Not expensive presents (although they can be utterly wonderful), ANY presents. My love language is gifts, so I always look forward to feeling especially loved this time of year, regardless of the fact that the holiday of love, Valentine's Day, is often boycotted in our home (sounds like an upcoming blog post in and of itself).
But the things I look forward to this time of year aren't wrapped and aren't usually surprises. It's the comfort of the familiar that I love. The holiday season is over and the natural feeling of letdown that follows all the excitement of it has passed. Our family seems to be healthier. The sun shines a bit brighter and warmer during the day- just warm enough to don some short sleeved shirts and bust out a pair or two of flip flops. The smell in the air is cleaner and can be enjoyed by opening the windows in the afternoon. I previously mentioned the smell of the orange blossoms that, while causing me to sneeze relentlessly, lightly fragrance the air. Strawberries come back in season. And let's not forget the Girl Scout Cookies!
I think what is so beautiful about February, especially growing up in Arizona, is that it truly is the onset of our Spring- temperatures in the 70s, flowers beginning to bloom, there is a sense of renewal. It's something we want to hold on to because we know that as the rest of the country ushers in Spring in the months to come, our summer looms on the horizon.
So for now, I'll just open the windows, take a breath of warm fresh air (grab a Thin Mint), and enjoy!
Happy February everyone!
Tuesday, February 1, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment