Unfortunately for all of us, Daniel's birthday didn't end quite the way we had anticipated. But it did kick off what was, by far, the most frightening 48 hours of our life.
For a few days beforehand, Isaiah was throwing up after practically every feeding. To call it "projectile" didn't quite do it justice, as I personally believe it rivaled Olympic shot put records. I mistakenly assumed he was still adjusting to his formula and perhaps we needed to find something a little more gentle on his tummy. However, Fernando insisted that I call the doctor's office and I'm so glad that he did!
I was expecting them to recommend a particular type of formula and tell me that it was nothing to worry about initially. So, imagine my surprise when I was told to take him immediately to the emergency room at Phoenix Children's Hospital. Fernando came directly home from work and we headed out, leaving Sofia, Daniel, and his birthday cake indefinitely.
When we arrived at the hospital we were taken to an exam room fairly quickly and informed by the doctor that he suspected Pyloric Stenosis , a condition fairly common to infants at this age. Dr. Pickett ordered an ultrasound to confirm the diagnosis and an IV to get some fluids into our little boy who had missed his last feeding. But, because he had gotten so little food over the previous days, his veins were very flat and after four sticks, they were still unable to get an IV in.
The ultrasound confirmed the diagnosis and we were informed that surgery would be inevitable, meaning, not only were they going to operate on our 3 week old, but that feeding him before the next day was impossible. The IV team was called in to make a 5th and, hopefully, final attempt to get an IV in Isaiah's hand or foot. After two more unsuccessful sticks, it was determined that they would attempt to get the IV in his head. Even knowing how common that procedure is for infants, the sheer thought of it was more than I could handle. I couldn't watch and as I sat there knowing what was happening and listening helplessly to the screams of my sweet little boy, I broke down. Little did I know that it would happen countless times over the next 48 hours.
Much to our horror, that attempt failed as well. And we soon found ourselves alone with Isaiah, who was now 6 hours without food, awaiting admittance. Thankfully, he was exhausted from his ordeal and lack of food, so he slept most of the time we waited. We were SO relieved when we were told that our room was ready. We anticipated that we wouldn't sleep much as a result of the anxiety and emotion of the whole experience. But we had NO idea how right we were until we saw our room.
It must have been all over our faces as we walked into about a 15X15 square foot room that was occupied by another patient and his grandparents. Our "side" of the room was just big enough for the crib and one arm chair. At that point, we were feeling pretty hopeless. We are so thankful that God knows our hearts because as soon as the nurse left, the sweet grandma of the baby "next door" came over and asked if she could pray with us, not knowing our background or situation. It was exactly what we needed at that moment and in the moments to come.
It was imperative that Isaiah receive some fluids and we were taken to another room to make another attempt to get an IV in. I stepped outside to meet my brother and sister-in-law, who had brought us a suitcase of stuff to get us through the night and Daddy stayed upstairs with Isaiah. I returned to the room to find Fernando in tears. After eight desperate attempts, the IV team decided to put the IV into Isaiah's neck. We spent the remainder of the night crying and praying over our son.
It was clearly by the grace of God that Isaiah slept soundly through the night, waking very rarely and easily calmed by some sucrose and his pacifier. Fernando and I did our best to catch what little sleep we could (even if it meant sleeping in the car), but had little success. It was by far the longest night of our lives, which would only be followed by the longest day of our lives.
We were expecting surgery the following morning, but when the doctor came to see us, he informed us that it would be at some time between 1 and 4 pm. Isaiah continued to sleep a good portion of the day, but was so hungry that it was getting increasingly difficult to comfort him. Thus, we were both relieved and terrified when transport came to take him to the OR. We were so blessed that Isaiah was at Phoenix Children's Hospital and had the utmost confidence in the doctors and nurses who worked hard to put our minds at ease. But no matter how "simple" a procedure, there is nothing more terrifying than handing over your child (at any age, I imagine) to a surgeon and walking away.
We spent the majority of the time in the chapel waiting for surgery to end, praying and listening to old hymns play from an unknown source. And while there were no words playing, the lyrics resonated in our hears and minds-
For a few days beforehand, Isaiah was throwing up after practically every feeding. To call it "projectile" didn't quite do it justice, as I personally believe it rivaled Olympic shot put records. I mistakenly assumed he was still adjusting to his formula and perhaps we needed to find something a little more gentle on his tummy. However, Fernando insisted that I call the doctor's office and I'm so glad that he did!
I was expecting them to recommend a particular type of formula and tell me that it was nothing to worry about initially. So, imagine my surprise when I was told to take him immediately to the emergency room at Phoenix Children's Hospital. Fernando came directly home from work and we headed out, leaving Sofia, Daniel, and his birthday cake indefinitely.
When we arrived at the hospital we were taken to an exam room fairly quickly and informed by the doctor that he suspected Pyloric Stenosis , a condition fairly common to infants at this age. Dr. Pickett ordered an ultrasound to confirm the diagnosis and an IV to get some fluids into our little boy who had missed his last feeding. But, because he had gotten so little food over the previous days, his veins were very flat and after four sticks, they were still unable to get an IV in.
The ultrasound confirmed the diagnosis and we were informed that surgery would be inevitable, meaning, not only were they going to operate on our 3 week old, but that feeding him before the next day was impossible. The IV team was called in to make a 5th and, hopefully, final attempt to get an IV in Isaiah's hand or foot. After two more unsuccessful sticks, it was determined that they would attempt to get the IV in his head. Even knowing how common that procedure is for infants, the sheer thought of it was more than I could handle. I couldn't watch and as I sat there knowing what was happening and listening helplessly to the screams of my sweet little boy, I broke down. Little did I know that it would happen countless times over the next 48 hours.
Much to our horror, that attempt failed as well. And we soon found ourselves alone with Isaiah, who was now 6 hours without food, awaiting admittance. Thankfully, he was exhausted from his ordeal and lack of food, so he slept most of the time we waited. We were SO relieved when we were told that our room was ready. We anticipated that we wouldn't sleep much as a result of the anxiety and emotion of the whole experience. But we had NO idea how right we were until we saw our room.
It must have been all over our faces as we walked into about a 15X15 square foot room that was occupied by another patient and his grandparents. Our "side" of the room was just big enough for the crib and one arm chair. At that point, we were feeling pretty hopeless. We are so thankful that God knows our hearts because as soon as the nurse left, the sweet grandma of the baby "next door" came over and asked if she could pray with us, not knowing our background or situation. It was exactly what we needed at that moment and in the moments to come.
It was imperative that Isaiah receive some fluids and we were taken to another room to make another attempt to get an IV in. I stepped outside to meet my brother and sister-in-law, who had brought us a suitcase of stuff to get us through the night and Daddy stayed upstairs with Isaiah. I returned to the room to find Fernando in tears. After eight desperate attempts, the IV team decided to put the IV into Isaiah's neck. We spent the remainder of the night crying and praying over our son.
It was clearly by the grace of God that Isaiah slept soundly through the night, waking very rarely and easily calmed by some sucrose and his pacifier. Fernando and I did our best to catch what little sleep we could (even if it meant sleeping in the car), but had little success. It was by far the longest night of our lives, which would only be followed by the longest day of our lives.
We were expecting surgery the following morning, but when the doctor came to see us, he informed us that it would be at some time between 1 and 4 pm. Isaiah continued to sleep a good portion of the day, but was so hungry that it was getting increasingly difficult to comfort him. Thus, we were both relieved and terrified when transport came to take him to the OR. We were so blessed that Isaiah was at Phoenix Children's Hospital and had the utmost confidence in the doctors and nurses who worked hard to put our minds at ease. But no matter how "simple" a procedure, there is nothing more terrifying than handing over your child (at any age, I imagine) to a surgeon and walking away.
We spent the majority of the time in the chapel waiting for surgery to end, praying and listening to old hymns play from an unknown source. And while there were no words playing, the lyrics resonated in our hears and minds-
"When peace like a river attendeth my way
When sorrows like sea billows roll
Whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say
It is well, it is well with my soul"
What a relief and tremendous blessing when the doctor emerged from the operating room to inform us that everything went fine and Isaiah was waking up. And nothing felt better than being able to hold him again and try to feed him.

That night, Isaiah ate like a champ keeping down everything he was supposed to and then some. We were thrilled knowing we would get to go home the next day. Since then he has been such a little trooper. He never complains, although we know he must be uncomfortable from his surgery, and he is eating like he's making up for lost time!
We, on the other hand, are still emotionally and physically exhausted from the whole ordeal and are trying to recuperate, but it's a small price to pay to have a beautiful, healthy baby boy.
We are eternally grateful to our family for supporting us while we were at the hospital, by loving on Daniel and Sofia and sitting with us in the surgery waiting room, by praying with us and keeping us company. And we are blessed beyond measure to have the love and prayer support of countless friends and family members from coast to coast. Prayer works and it certainly made a difference to us and in the life of Isaiah over the past week. A huge thank you to our church family for your outpouring of love, for your prayers, words of encouragement, and for your visits. We were so blessed by you! We cannot thank enough the doctors and nurses at Phoenix Children's Hospital for taking impeccable care of our son. And more importantly, we are once again humbled and in awe of the greatness of our Heavenly Father who loves our family so much more than we could possibly know or understand.
Isaiah's first day home

3 comments:
I am so glad to hear everything is well. I can't say that I know what it is like for surgery, but Carsen did have croop (I can't spell) and the Urgent Care doctor had him transfered to the ER by ambulance as he told me that he could stop breathing at any moment. (Branden wished he had not said that). I followed Facebook that day like I have never done. Nothing kills a mom like watching a child in dyer need of any major medical help.
I'm so glad to hear that Isaiah is doing so well now. I can't even imagine what a difficult time that was for your family.
I cannot even imagine what you've been through with your little baby boy! I am so happy to hear he is doing well, and of course, looks just like the incredibly adorable Eileen/Fernando mix present in your other two kids:)
Post a Comment